Everyone in their right mind wants a beautiful smile. Getting braces is part of the journey to that aesthetic destination. One must be out of their mind to get braces and not take the proper measures to ensure they are protected and maintained. This would not simply defeat the purpose, but would also create a financial disaster.
Patients at Shadow Creek Ranch Dental Specialists in Pearland who are in need of braces meet with our orthodontist and discuss what steps should be taken to establish a stronger, more aligned set of teeth. Our dental office in Pearland offers traditional, as well as Invisalign. During the consultation phase, you can discuss the various possibilities for your teeth. If they have gaps, are crooked, or impacted, our orthodontist will be able to inform you of which set of braces would be best. We will also inform you of how long they must stay on and how exactly they will adjust your teeth.
How to Take Care of Your Braces
When you have officially obtained your braces, there are several rules to abide by to receive the best results. Here are some invaluable tips to protect your teeth and your braces:
- Brush Early and Often – Since your mouth has more than a set of teeth in there, brushing multiple times per day is more important than ever. After every meal, including snacks, you need to brush thoroughly to ensure food particles are removed. Not only can food particles become stuck in your teeth, as they do for everyone, but they can become stuck within the braces.
- Renew the Toothbrush – Yes, brushing is ever important, but doing so with a worn out toothbrush comes close to defeating the purpose. A toothbrush should be replaced every two months. The bristles from the brush should be straightforward. Once they begin to become flattened, the brush is no longer able to reach into the hard to reach places. This becomes even more of a problem with braces because there is an increased amount of difficult places to reach.
- Daily Check-Up – Every day you should conduct a thorough check of your braces to ensure there are no loose bands and that nothing is missing or poking out. They should remain firm and in place, a good check-up with your fingers should tell you if anything is amiss. Finding a problem will allow our orthodontist to address it immediately.
- Avoid Certain Foods – There are certain foods you should at least try to avoid simply because they can create difficulties when trying to brush them out. There are some, however, that can increase the chance of negatively affecting your braces. Chewy (dried fruit), crunchy (chips or popcorn), sticky (gum), hard foods (hard candies or hard nuts), or foods that require you to bite forward into them (corn on the cob), should be eaten with caution or avoided altogether.
- Wear a Mouthguard – This warning is primarily for people who play sports or participate in certain aggressive activities. Wearing a mouthguard will protect your lips in case they become pressed or smashed into your teeth. The skin could become attached to the braces, making for a very painful experience.
- Avoid Lip Chafing – The lips, due to constant rubbing and contact, can become chafed. The way to avoid this problem is by purchasing dental wax to place on the teeth. Doing this will make your time wearing braces more enjoyable.
If you are considering purchasing braces, visit our dental office in Pearland or schedule your dental consultation with our orthodontist. At Shadow Creek Ranch Dental Specialists, we will make sure your experience, whether traditional braces or Invisalign, is as enjoyable as possible.